The South Central Opioid Summit was recently held in Bloomington on Sept. 28, and Centerstone staff were among 50 speakers who presented on addressing the rising drug addiction problems in our communities.
Centerstone’s VP of Adult and Family Services Linda Grove-Paul sits on the advisory committee for the event and also serves as programming chair. With her help, and with the help of Matthew Clay and Olivia Humphries on the programming and technology committees, Centerstone Indiana clients and staff were integral to the success of the summit and played a key role at the event, providing expertise from seven staff members who spoke on and moderated panels in addition to the numerous Centerstone employees in attendance.
Those who presented or moderated presentations were:
- Dr. Gregory May, Administrative Director of Adult and Family Services
- Jennifer Ludwig, Therapist
- Linda Grove-Paul, VP of Adult and Family Services
- Matthew Clay, Prevention Program Manager
- Dr. Nishanie Gunawardane, Psychiatrist and Addictionologist
- Olivia Humphreys, Outreach Specialist
- Tammy Hooten, Parks and Rec Crew Member
Over 600 participants arrived at the event ranging from government workers to public educators to concerned citizens of Indiana. Senators Joe Donnelly and Todd Young shared a bipartisan message via video that focused on expanding treatment services. Many stories were shared from many perspectives, all with the hope of combating and overcoming drug addiction.