Home / Counseling /
Intensive In-Home Treatment
Centerstone’s Intensive In-Home Treatment is an intervention service for families of children and adolescents ages 3 to 18 with acute emotional problems. The program works to keep children and families together by providing individual and family counseling in the home or community to help stabilize and decrease the youth’s disruptive behaviors.
Treatment can include individual therapy, family therapy, interventions in the school or community, advocating for the child in the juvenile court system when appropriate and teaching of skills such as parenting, behavior modification, anger management, conflict resolution, decision-making and more.
Services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and aim to be convenient to the family’s schedule. Intensive In-Home Treatment specialists provide an average of three face-to-face services per week for each family, and treatment enrollment typically lasts for 90 days.
Who Benefits from Intensive In-Home Treatment?
This evidence-based program is for children and adolescents ages 3 to 18 in Middle and East Tennessee who:
- Have a primary mental health diagnosis (according to DSM-5)
- Stand to improve with appropriate therapy and treatment
- Are at risk for out-of-home placement or are transitioning home from a previous placement
- Show little improvement in symptoms after receiving less-intensive services
- Have escalated disruptive behaviors/symptoms in the past 30 days that place them at risk for harm to themselves or others
- Have at least one key family member willing to participate with them
Is In-Home Treatment Effective?
Intensive In-Home Treatment is a lower-cost alternative to repeated acute hospital stays or residential treatment centers. The program tends to have more enduring outcomes, including improved family interactions.
What Does Treatment Provide?
Intensive In-Home Treatment is based on the guiding principles of Intensive Family Preservation (IFP). The development of IFP began in the 1970s and ’80s for the purpose of providing a cost-efficient, effective and less-restrictive treatment method of maintaining families at risk of placement safely together in the home.
Centerstone’s trained clinicians provide:
- 24/7 availability for crisis intervention
- Family-based treatment that meets each family’s unique set of needs
- Therapy sessions in the home and community approximately 3 times per week at times that are convenient for the family
- Anger management, communication, decision-making and social-skill training for the child
- Guidance for parents/caregivers on managing suicide risk, physical aggression, runaway behavior and other symptoms
- Collaboration with other resources and agencies during treatment, such as medical or clinical providers, schools and juvenile court
- Advanced evidence-based treatments for trauma
Phone: (615) 279-6728
24-Hour Crisis Intervention: (800) 681-7444