What should I do if I need help?
Contact Centerstone to talk with a therapist about stress and how we can help.
What are signs of stress in adults?
- Difficulty falling or staying asleep, having nightmares
- Having low energy or difficulty concentrating
- Being irritable, having outbursts of anger
- Crying, feeling sad
- Excessively drinking or using drugs
- Feeling nervous or “on edge”
- Constantly worrying
- Having guilt and self-doubt
- Having sudden painful emotions
- Feeling apathetic or numb, withdrawing from others
What can I do to deal with stress?
- Talk about your feelings and experiences with someone you trust
- Identify the positive
- Exercise, eat right and get enough sleep
- For couples: spend time together. Don’t take out your anger on each other
- Seek information from community resources
- Engage in healthy activities you enjoy
What are signs of stress in children?
- Becoming angry or violent: hitting, throwing, kicking
- Being restless or more active than usual
- Being easily upset, whining or crying more often
- Being afraid to be left alone
- Having nightmares, asking to sleep with parents or siblings
- Having regressive behavior: thumb sucking, asking for pacifier, bed-wetting
- Becoming quiet or withdrawn, not wanting to talk about a particular experience
- Displaying signs of illness unexplained by a medical condition
- Being afraid of a particular incident happening again, asking if it will happen again
What can I do to help my child deal with stress?
- Listen to your child, and let them express their feelings
- Talk to them and provide simple, accurate responses to questions
- Comfort your child; hold and hug them
- Spend extra time putting your child to bed; leave a night light on to help them feel safe
- Provide playtime to relieve tension
- Allow your child time to grieve
- Keep regular schedules for activities such as eating, playing and going to bed to maintain a sense of security and normalcy
How can stress be treated?
When stress begins to control your day-to-day life, it is time to seek professional help.
Most experts agree that talk therapy works best for treating stress. Centerstone staff are trained to help people deal with stress so they lead a happy and healthy life.
If you need help dealing with stress, contact us today.
We know that there isn’t one solution that works for everyone, so our treatment options include you in the decision-making process.