What should I do if I need help?
Contact Centerstone to talk with a therapist about trauma and how we can help.
Primary trauma happens when you directly experience a terrible event.
Secondary trauma happens when someone else experiences a terrible event, and you have stress or are impacted as a result.
No matter what kind you’re experiencing, trauma can be a lot to handle without help. For some, trauma can be especially hard to shake. These people may develop what is known as Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
Signs of trauma
Symptoms of trauma and PTSD
- Unwelcome thoughts, mental images or disturbing dreams about the traumatic event
- Staying away from anything that is associated with the traumatic event
- Intense alertness and not being able to concentrate
- Disruption of daily life, not being able to complete common tasks
- Constant feelings of worry or fear
- Being easily startled
- Having panic attacks
- Not being able to enjoy activities that were once fun
- Feeling or acting violently, feeling extreme anger and intense unrest
- Having trouble falling or staying asleep
How can trauma be treated?
When trauma begins to control your day-to-day life, it is time to seek professional help.
Most experts agree that talk therapy works best for treating anxiety. Centerstone staff are trained to help people deal with trauma so they lead a happy and healthy life.
If you need help dealing with trauma, contact us today.
We know that there isn’t one solution that works for everyone, so our treatment options include you in the decision-making process.