As one of the nation’s leading not-for-profit providers of behavioral health services, Centerstone strives to offer the latest evidence-based services to our patients, improve care coordination so as to not only improve patient outcomes, but also improve patients’ experiences in receiving care. Centerstone advocates for policy solutions that seek to ensure that patients in need of urgent mental health and addiction care – can obtain the help they need, when they need it.
Legislative Advocacy for Mental Health and Addiction
Today, drug overdoses are the leading cause of death for Americans under the age of 50. Continuing to treat addiction differently than other brain disorders or chronic diseases inhibits our nation’s ability to truly address the drug crisis and provide patients with the highest quality treatment. Similar to other chronic diseases, substance abuse and mental health disorders require comprehensive, evidence-based treatment in order to achieve positive outcomes and build toward recovery.
To better address this devastating public health epidemic, we need to break down regulatory barriers to evidence-based, patient-centered care. To do this, Centerstone is advocating for the following policy solutions:
- Advancing key legislative priorities to improve behavioral health – read our 2018 legislative priorities.
- Incenting quality care and evidence based services – read our comments to the US Senate Finance Committee
- Advancing zero suicide pathways in all health system – learn more about our Zero Suicide pathways
- Write a message to your legislators in support of mental and behavioral health treatment, programs, and funding.
- Ask your Representative to advocate on behalf of efforts to combat the opioid crisis:
- Find your representatives' contact information.
- Call and/or email your representative.
- Share with them this message:
I am calling/emailing to urge my member of congress to vote and advocate for the advancement of efforts to combat the opioid crisis. Every day, more than 115 Americans die after overdosing on opioids. The misuse of opioids is a serious national threat impacting all individuals regardless of socioeconomic status, age, and geography. Please work to fund and support evidence based, high quality, and accessible treatment services to end opioid misuse and addiction. I’m calling from [city, state, and zip] and my name is [first and last name]. Thank you.
- The Crisis Next Door (from The White House and Office of National Drug Control Policy) Share your story below by uploading a video about how you overcame addiction, volunteered at a recovery center, or worked as a family to help a loved one get on the path to recovery.
News and Opinion
As news stories and opinion pieces are made available, and when appropriate, Centerstone policy staff will share them to help keep you fully informated as to what is going on in our nation's capitol regarding all behavioral health topics.
- May 9, 2018 Part 2 Part 2 (Politico)
- May 9, 2018 House Debates Bill to Align SUD Rules with HIPAA Privacy Rule ((HealthIT Security)
- April 30, 2018 Ky. Leaders Back McConnell’s Effort To Address Effect Of Opioids On Workforce (WFPL)
- April 30, 2018 McConnell: Senate Likely to Consider Anti-Opioid Package (US News)
- April 30, 2018 McConnell: Senate likely to consider anti-opioid package (Washington Post)
- April 13, 2018 Watch David Guth’s Testimony on Opioid Crisis Before Congressional Committee
- April 12, 2018 Centerstone CEO Testifies on Opioid Crisis before Congressional Committee
- April 4, 2018 Using our nation’s resources to provide care (Dr. Bob Vero, CEO of Centerstone Tennessee)
- March 29, 2018 Opioid Epidemic Gets Billions in Appropriations: Now What? (Centerstone's policy staff)
- March 23, 2018 FY2018 Omnibus Spending Bill’s Affect On Addiction (Centerstone's policy staff)
- March 21, 2018 David Guth's Statement on Opioid Crisis Hearing
- March 19, 2018 White House Includes HITN Opioid Safety Alliance Priorities in Outline of New Initiatives to Combat Opioid Misuse (Health IT Now)
- March 19, 2018 Health and Wellness: Opioid Crisis Efforts Continue In Washington (Centerstone's policy staff)
- March 9, 2018 House to hold two-day hearing to consider more than 20 opioid bills (CNN)
- March 8, 2018 Opioid use disorder in the United States: Diagnosed prevalence by payer, age, sex, and state (Milliman)
- February 22, 2018 Combating pill mills: Establishing standards for addiction treatment with Comprehensive Opioid Recovery Centers (Medical News)
- December 29, 2017 Evaluating barriers to addiction treatment (Medical News)