Home / News & Events /
Centerstone to host ‘Stop Acting Like a Child: The School to Prison Pipeline’ presentation
Centerstone, a national leader in behavioral health care, will host “Stop Acting Like a Child: The School to Prison Pipeline” presentation on January 18 from10-11:30 a.m. CT via Zoom. CEUs are available for Illinois professionals and there is no charge to attend.
Objectives of the training include:
- Gain insight into the impact of racism related to how individuals interact with children.
- Gain knowledge regarding the damage of labeling a child and how this label can become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
- Gain insight into the effects of negative disciplinary strategies.
- Gain knowledge regarding the long-term results of this phenomena
- Participation in a solution-focused discussion regarding this phenomena.
The presenter of the training will be Jeremy Allen with Southern Illinois University – Carbondale (SIU-C). Allen is a Ph.D. candidate in Sociology at SIU-C who specializes in race. He has taught Sociology 108 Introduction to Sociology, 215 Race and Ethnic Relations in the U.S., and 303 Sociology of Deviance. He has academic training in stratification, race, criminology, research methods, and analysis. Additionally, Allen has decades of lived experience relating to his primary area of study.
This training has 1.5 hours of continuing education approved for IL LCPC / LPC, IL LCSW / LSW, and IL Nursing (LPN, RN, APN) under IDFPR Professional Counselor CE License No. 197.000263 and IDFPR Nurse CE Sponsor License No. 236.000184.
This training is sponsored by Centerstone’s Trauma, Treatment and Training (CT3) program.
Other CT3 training events in 2023 include:
- January 11 – Why Does His Back Look Like That?: The Trauma of Racism
- January 18 – Stop Acting Like a Child: The School to Prison Pipeline
- January 25 – Understanding the Structural Impact of Racism, Racial Trauma and Suicide Prevention