Home / Health & Wellness Articles / Mental Health /
Self-Care Tips for Women
Women often feel immense pressure to manage their own lives while helping others around them. As daughters, sisters, friends, wives, and mothers, there are many responsibilities to be balanced. It’s important for women to care for themselves in addition to juggling those other roles.
Self-care is the practice of improving one’s health, well-being, and overall happiness. Here are several strategies to help women prioritize themselves and their happiness:
- Self-care is a necessity. Self-care can be any activity that strengthens you physically, emotionally, mentally, intellectually, or spiritually. The concept of taking control of your needs and making yourself a priority might be viewed as selfish, but it is not. If you are someone who shows care for others, remember to care for yourself as well.
- Learn to love yourself. There are many stigmas and stereotypes regarding women and beauty standards. It is important to reassure and find ways to love yourself—physically, mentally, emotionally, and more. Try standing in front of a mirror and verbalizing things you love about yourself. Write affirmations and compliment yourself daily to affirm who you are.
- Create a support system. Do your friends and family empower and uplift you? If not, consider telling them how important it is to feel supported. Your environment and the people in it should be positive motivators in your life. You should feel supported in the good things you do—shown care the way that you show care for others.
- Set healthy boundaries. How many times have you said “yes” or “sure” to a request when you didn’t have the time or energy to help? Sometimes you might feel guilty for prioritizing yourself, but setting boundaries is taking control of your life. Learn to say “no” to people for the sake of self-care.
- Plan around you. In your busy day-to-day activities, it is important to schedule time to help with your self-care. This will create a healthier and more balanced lifestyle, and it will be reflected in your relationships. Make time for you first, and then schedule time for others when needed. Try to explain your need for self-care to those closest to you, and they might see the benefit of your happiness.
- Improve your well-being. Spend some time alone to think about your needs and think about ways to meet those needs. Take an interest in your hobbies that will help improve your overall well-being. You can try to do things like read a book, watch a good television show, go to therapy, make a fitness plan, join a club, and so forth.
Women take on many different roles in their everyday lives. They must not forget to take care of themselves along the way!
If you or someone you know is struggling with their mental health, Centerstone can help. Call 1-877-HOPE123 (1-877-467-3123) for more information.